Every person is unique and dementia effects every individual differently, with no two people experiencing symptoms in exactly the same way.
Symptoms also vary by type of dementia, with Alzheimer’s disease being the most common type of dementia.
10 of the most common warning signs are shown below and depicted in the infographic:
- Memory loss
- Difficulty performing familiar tasks
- Problems with language
- Disorientation to time and place
- Poor or decreased judgement
- Problems keeping track of things
- Misplacing things
- Changes in mood and behaviour
- Challenges understanding visual and spatial information
- Withdrawal from work or social activities
If these signs are new, they may be a sign of dementia. Dementia is not a part of normal aging. If you think that these problems are affecting your daily life, or the life of someone you know, you should talk to your doctor or seek out more information from your national Alzheimer or dementia association.
Learn about the importance of a timely diagnosis